Today’s economy requires organizations to digitally transform every aspect of its business. This imposes a burden on IT systems which organizations must consider.
A MODERN APPROACH TO IT SYSTEMS
Most organizations face the following critical IT modernization issues:
Digital Transformation is Eminent
So how should organizations then approach this transformation?
Historically, most companies have favored a piece meal approach initially focusing on the most immediate pain point and subsequently consider other issues as and when the next pain occurs. This incremental approach to modernizing IT, actually sets the organization back as the cost of digital transformation increases drastically. Unfortunately, the threat of digital disruption is creating an urgent need for organizations to transform IT systems end to end, with the big picture in mind.
Granted that the piece meal approach to transformation may entail fewer risks, offer short-term improvements and perhaps on the face of it reduce IT capex. However, this false economy breeds more complexity, as redundant processes still remain prevalent and may limit the organizations growth and competitiveness. The end-to-end approach to transforming IT is more effective for creating and supporting a viable business in today’s digital economy.
Source: McKinsey & Company
Pursuing end-to-end IT modernization
Line of business managers, are now the driving force behind the digital transformation of a business. These business heads need to actively collaborate with their IT teams, and the rest of the business to shape an overall business strategy. This approach to modernization tends to ensure that the technology deployed performs better across all aspects and lasts longer than a couple of years.
Most companies have a sense of what they want their modern IT architecture to look like and are familiar with the core building blocks they can use to achieve that goal. However, most suffer from implementation blues as they are not able to translate vision into reality. This is where the support of a Digital & IT Savvy service provider can be beneficial. Based on our experience, an end-to-end IT modernization program will look different across industry verticals, however, there are certain building blocks that are common for most SME’s.
The Cloud is the first step in the modern SME’s transformation journey
Three other factors come into the picture while considering an end-to-end transformation program. These are:
Most organizations in the past have separated their digital marketing activities from their business operations, intentionally boxing them into silos. However, it is no longer possible for organizations to operate these functions independent of the other. True end to end transformation requires seamless integration of both of these elements.
Cloud based IT deployment and transformation is also far more economical than any other form of transformation. It is now possible to run an entire business from the Cloud. The following table illustrates how a service-based business can transform itself by deploying Cloud based technology across the entire business.
Online Must Have’s
- Modern responsive website
- Secure Web hosting
- LinkedIn Profile
- FB Business Page
- Twitter Account
- Instagram Account
- Google My Place of Business
- Google+ Account
- Marketing Automation
- Payment Gateway
Online Must Have Functions
- Search Engine optimized website to attract, nurture and generate leads
- Malware protected web hosting
- Brand presence on the world’s leading professional social media network (Corporate Focused Messaging)
- Brand presence on Facebook allows for an organization to stay in touch with the public using a lighter tone. (Humor and Relaxed Messaging)
- Brand presence on Twitter allows for organizations to stay in touch using a News angle. (News and Information Messaging)
- Brand Presence - The reason brands choose to use Instagram photos on site is because they add variety, with dynamic content that’s constantly changing
- By verifying and editing your business information, you can both help customers find you and tell them the story of your business.
- You increase the odds of getting highly targeted visitors from Google’s organic search results if you have a Google Plus account.
- Software that allows companies to improve website visitor engagement and increase efficiency in order to grow revenue faster.
- Mechanism to collect payments online (customized to meet the specific needs of a business)
Business Systems Must Have’s
Business Systems Must Have Functions
- Office 365 Email communications with messaging, archival and Antispam/Antivirus protection
- Cloud based customer relationship management system customized to handle Sales, Marketing, HR, Finance, Customer Billing, Purchasing, and Inventory control.
- Disaster recovery and backup system (Capable of handling all Company data including end user points)
- Standard office productivity suites using Office 365 including Skype for Business
- End point protection preventing virus and malware attacks
- Collaboration, syncing, reporting and flexibility all in real time.
- Avoid capital expenditures and reduce operational expenses. Disaster recovery
- High level security and seamless integration with Office 365.
- Structured cable or fiber optic installation. Networks cabinets and switches. VPN solutions
- On premise telephony infrastructure. IP based telephony or Cloud based PABX solutions
A little planning and forward thinking can pave the path for a great transformation. Our consultants are available to assist you as you plan your new and exciting journey so that your organization can reap the benefits of the Digital Economy. The journey is just beginning. Make it work for you!